BIO-CEL® Membrane Bioreactor Process
The MBR process is a combination of a classic activated sludge biological treatment system operating at high mixed liquor solids levels coupled with membrane filtration. The membrane filtration system, using the unique Microdyn-Nadir BIO-CEL modules removes the need for final settlement tanks, as the ultrafiltration membrane acts as a barrier to the sludge and solid particles, allowing mainly clean water to pass through.
The result is a very compact system, making it an ideal solution where space is limited. MBR's are also capable of producing a very high quality treatment, making them ideal for water reuse applications typically as low as:
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) <5mg/l
- Total Suspended Solids (SS) <0.5mg/l
- Ammonia Nitrogen (NH3N) <0.5mg/l
- Faecal Coliforms <10 CFU/100ml
How they work
The Eliquo Hydrok/Microdyn-Nadir Membrane Bioreactors operate at far higher mixed liquor suspended solids (MLSS) concentrations than conventional activated sludge systems, typically between 8,000 to 10,000 mg/l. The elevated biomass concentration provides very effective removal of both soluble and particulate biodegradable materials at higher loading rates. The resulting increased sludge retention times ensures complete nitrification even in extremely cold weather.
The BIO-CEL Modules are immersed in the aeration tank, and are in direct contact with the mixed liquor. A vacuum is applied to the modules by means of a permeate pump, which allows the treated water to pass through the membranes, and then onto a final effluent discharge point.
- Ultra high quality treatment
- Fully compliant to EC guidelines for bathing water
- Safe output - bacteria and most viruses are filtered by the membrane, so no additional disinfection required for non-potable water reuse
- Very small footprint
- Operates at high MLSS, no need for secondary clarifier tanks
- Robust in performance - consistent quality of treated wastewater